Bamako is the capital city of Mali, located in the southwestern part of the country on the Niger River. It is the country's largest city and serves as its main economic and cultural center. The city is home to a diverse population, including many different ethnic and religious groups. It is also home to some of Mali's most important historical sites, such as the Great Mosque of Djinguereber and the ancient citadel of Ségou. Bamako is a vibrant and bustling city, and is known for its vibrant nightlife and lively markets. It is also a major hub for business and commerce for West Africa. Bamako is also a great place to find software developers. But software engineers in Bamako are also hard to find and hard to hire. Experienced developers get a lot of messages from recruiters, in some cases five or ten messages per day. To find engineers in Bamako you have to search for engineers in different sources, reach out based on their preferred contact details, personalize your outreach and make an attractive offer. In this guide you'll learn more about the tech ecosystem in Bamako, which methods to use to find developers and how to hire them.
The statistics on tech talent in Bamako reflect the city's growing prominence as a tech hub in West Africa. In 2020, the city was ranked among the top 15 cities in Africa with the highest concentration of tech talent. It is estimated that there are over 1,000 tech professionals working in the city, with more than half of them being female. The top tech skills in Bamako include web development, software engineering, mobile application development, and data science. The city has seen an increase in venture capital investments as well as the number of tech startups in the city, which has further bolstered the tech talent pool.
The tech ecosystem in Bamako is rapidly growing, with many organizations and initiatives being launched to support tech entrepreneurs and innovators. In recent years, there has been an increased focus on providing access to technology and resources to entrepreneurs, with initiatives such as the Bamako Tech Hub, the Bamako Innovation Academy, the Bamako Digital Center, and the Bamako Open Innovation Hub. There is also a strong focus on digital literacy and education in the city, with organizations such as the Code Club and Digital Africa running workshops and training programs. The city also has a vibrant startup scene, with many entrepreneurs launching new businesses, especially in the fields of technology, fintech, and digital media. Finally, there are many international organizations and initiatives operating in the city that provide funding and support to entrepreneurs and innovators, such as the United Nations Development Programme, the World Bank, and the African Development Bank.
1. Bamako Tech Meetup
2. Bamako Women in Tech Meetup
3. Bamako Software Developers Meetup
4. Bamako Mobile App Developers Meetup
5. Bamako Data Science Meetup
6. Bamako Artificial Intelligence Meetup
7. Bamako Blockchain Meetup
8. Bamako DevOps Meetup
9. Bamako Designers Meetup
10. Bamako Cloud Computing Meetup
1. Recruitment Agencies: Working with a recruitment agency is a great way to source software development talent in Bamako. They can provide access to the best talent and ensure that the software developers you hire have the right skills and experience.
2. Job Portals: There are several job portals dedicated to software development jobs in Bamako. These portals can be a great source of talent, as they often have many qualified and experienced software developers looking for work.
3. Networking Events: Attending networking events in Bamako is a great way to source software development talent. You may be able to meet potential candidates and get to know them better, as well as get a chance to showcase your company and its opportunities.
4. Social Media: Social media platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook are great places to look for software developers in Bamako. You can post job openings, search for potential candidates, and connect with experienced professionals in the software development field.
5. Referrals: Finally, referrals from existing employees, clients, and business contacts can be a great way to source software development talent in Bamako. Ask your contacts if they know anyone with the right skills and experience for the job, and then make sure to thank them for their referrals.
The best way to find developer talent in Bamako is to find them in the places where they have an online profile and are active. Examples of those platforms are GitHub and Stack Overflow. LinkedIn can also be a valuable source.
Talent search engines can help you find developers online through a variety of sources. Most talent search engines also provide verified contact details so you can reach out to the talent you have found. In some cases these engines even automate a big part of the outreach process so you can reach hundreds of candidates per day.
An example of a talent search and engagement engine is HeroHunt.ai which can find 1 billion candidates worldwide and lets you reach out automatically with personalized messages.
An alternative way to attract development talent is to post a job on a (local) job board.
10. Bamako Jobs Network
If you are sourcing for remote talent then you can utilize remote specific job boards where you can post your remote job.
7. Virtual Vocations
When you’re hiring software developers you need to be aware of the local average salaries in order to provide a competitive job offer. Below are the average salaries for software developers per experience level.
The average salary for a junior developer in Bamako, Mali is $1,950 USD per month. This salary typically consists of a base salary of $1,400 USD and an additional $550 USD in bonuses or benefits. This salary is based on the current market rate for junior developers in the city and may vary depending on experience and industry. Junior developers in Bamako typically work in the IT, software development, and web development fields.
The average salary for a Senior Developer in Bamako, Mali is approximately $3,000 USD per month. This salary may vary depending on the type of company and the amount of experience the developer has. This salary may also be supplemented with benefits such as health insurance, vacation time, and other perks. In general, Senior Developers in Bamako can expect salaries to be slightly higher than the average income of the country.
Maybe your company doesn't have an office (yet) in Bamako. But that doesn't mean you can't hire employees in Bamako. There are several options like EORs which can help employ developers legally according to the regulations in Bamako.
An Employer of Record (EOR) is a third-party entity that provides employment services to companies in Bamako, Mali. It can help employers manage the complexities of employment law, such as payroll, labor law compliance, and tax filings. Here’s how to use an EOR in Bamako:
1. Research and find an EOR: The first step is to research and find an EOR in Bamako that meets your business needs. Make sure to review their services, fees, and client reviews.
2. Sign a contract: Once you’ve found an EOR to work with, you’ll need to sign a contract outlining the services they will provide, such as payroll, benefits, and labor law compliance.
3. Onboard your employees: After signing a contract with an EOR, you can begin the onboarding process for your employees. The EOR will help you with the process, including setting up payroll and completing all necessary paperwork.
4. Manage payroll: The EOR will manage payroll for your employees, including calculating wages, making payments, and filing taxes.
5. Compliant with labor laws: The EOR will help you stay compliant with labor laws in Bamako, such as providing benefits and ensuring fair wages.
By working with an EOR in Bamako, you can streamline the process of hiring, onboarding, and managing your employees. This will save you time, money, and ensure you stay compliant with the local labor laws.
With these platforms you can make the entire world your potential talent pool.
The best platforms outside LinkedIn for finding exceptional tech talent.