Lithuania is a country located in northeastern Europe. It is bordered by Latvia to the north, Belarus to the east and south, Poland to the south, and the Baltic Sea to the west. Lithuania has a population of 2.9 million people and its capital is Vilnius. The country is known for its beautiful forests, lakes, and its historical culture. Lithuania is a member of both the European Union and NATO, and is a signatory of the Schengen Agreement. The main industries in the country are manufacturing, energy, and tourism. Lithuania is also a great place to find software developers. But software engineers in Lithuania are also hard to find and hard to hire. Experienced developers get a lot of messages from recruiters, in some cases five or ten messages per day. To find engineers in Lithuania you have to search for engineers in different sources, reach out based on their preferred contact details, personalize your outreach and make an attractive offer. In this guide you'll learn more about the tech ecosystem in Lithuania, which methods to use to find developers and how to hire them.
According to the European Commission, Lithuania has a highly skilled workforce and a growing number of tech professionals. In 2019, the country had over 77,000 people working in ICT (Information and Communications Technology) jobs, representing 4.3% of the total employed population. This number is expected to continue to grow, as the country is becoming an increasingly attractive destination for tech professionals.There are currently over 14,000 professionals working in the software development sector in Lithuania, which is the largest ICT sector in the country. This number has grown steadily since the early 2000s and is expected to continue to grow in the future.The tech industry in Lithuania is also growing in terms of the number of startups and other tech-focused companies. Currently, there are over 1,000 startups in the country, with more than 50% of them being in the software development space.Finally, there is a strong talent pool of tech professionals in Lithuania. According to the most recent data, there are over 24,000 tech professionals with a master’s degree, over 32,000 with a bachelor’s degree, and over 12,000 with a PhD. This talent pool is expected to continue to grow in the future as the country becomes an increasingly attractive destination for tech talent.
The tech ecosystem in Lithuania is growing rapidly, with a strong focus on startups, digital transformation, and a vibrant tech community. The country has been ranked among the top 10 countries for innovation, and has a long history of entrepreneurship. The government has been supportive of the tech sector, and there are a number of initiatives and resources to help tech businesses grow. Lithuania also has a large number of tech-focused meetups, events, and conferences, making it a great place to network and collaborate. Additionally, the country has several co-working spaces, accelerators, and incubators, as well as a number of venture capital firms. In recent years, Lithuania has become a hub for blockchain and cryptocurrency development, with a number of projects and initiatives taking place in the country.
1. DevClub Vilnius
2. Startup Lithuania
3. DevOps Lithuania
4. Vilnius TechEvents
5. Vilnius JS
6. GDG Vilnius
7. Vilnius AI
8. MobileSaturday Vilnius
9. UX Vilnius
1. Leverage professional networks: Networking is one of the best ways to find software development talent in Lithuania. Reach out to people in the local software development community and ask for referrals to talented software developers.
2. Utilize job boards and recruitment websites: Popular job boards and recruitment websites such as StackOverflow Jobs, LinkedIn, and Indeed are great resources to find software development talent in Lithuania.
3. Use online coding challenges and tests: These online coding challenges and tests can be used to assess the technical skills of software developers in Lithuania.
4. Attend local meetups and events: Attending local tech meetups and events is a great way to build relationships and find talented software developers in Lithuania.
5. Hire a recruitment agency: Professional recruitment agencies specialize in sourcing and hiring software development talent for companies.
The best way to find developer talent in Lithuania is to find them in the places where they have an online profile and are active. Examples of those platforms are GitHub and Stack Overflow. LinkedIn can also be a valuable source.
Talent search engines can help you find developers online through a variety of sources. Most talent search engines also provide verified contact details so you can reach out to the talent you have found. In some cases these engines even automate a big part of the outreach process so you can reach hundreds of candidates per day.
An example of a talent search and engagement engine is HeroHunt.ai which can find 1 billion candidates worldwide and lets you reach out automatically with personalized messages.
An alternative way to attract development talent is to post a job on a (local) job board.
1. CV Online
7. CV Market
8. CV Bankas
If you are sourcing for remote talent then you can utilize remote specific job boards where you can post your remote job.
When you’re hiring software developers you need to be aware of the local average salaries in order to provide a competitive job offer. Below are the average salaries for software developers per experience level.
The average salary for a junior developer in Lithuania is $2,396 per month. This includes a base salary of $1,716 and an average bonus of $680. The salary range for junior developers in Lithuania is generally between $1,400 and $2,800 per month. Junior developers in Lithuania typically have 1-3 years of experience and are responsible for developing software, maintaining existing applications, and helping to create new products. They may also be responsible for code testing, debugging, and troubleshooting. Additionally, some junior developers may also provide support and help to other developers.
A senior developer in Lithuania can expect to earn an average salary of €45,000 per year. This is based on a combination of factors, such as experience level, education, and the specific industry. Typically, a senior developer will have at least 5 years of experience in the field, and will possess a Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science or a related field. Senior developers are expected to have excellent programming skills, as well as the ability to lead technical teams, design software solutions, and mentor junior developers.
Maybe your company doesn't have an office (yet) in Lithuania. But that doesn't mean you can't hire employees in Lithuania. There are several options like EORs which can help employ developers legally according to the regulations in Lithuania.
An Employer of Record (EOR) is a service that enables companies to hire and manage employees in Lithuania without establishing a legal entity or branch office. It is especially beneficial for companies that are looking to hire employees on a short-term basis or need to quickly fill positions in Lithuania.
Here are the steps to use an EOR in Lithuania:
1. Choose an EOR: Research and select a reputable EOR that is well-versed in Lithuanian labor laws and can provide the services you need.
2. Sign a contract: Sign an agreement with the EOR that outlines the services you expect, the duration of the contract, and the fees associated with the service.
3. Prepare the employee contracts: Prepare the employment contracts for the employees you wish to hire in Lithuania.
4. Submit the contracts to the EOR: Submit the employee contracts to the EOR for review and approval.
5. On-board the employee: Once the EOR has approved the contracts, they will on-board the employee and handle all the necessary paperwork, such as registering them with the local tax authority.
6. Monitor payroll: The EOR will handle the payroll process, including calculating and processing wages as well as making payments to the employee and the relevant authorities.
7. Terminate the employee: When the employee’s contract ends, the EOR will manage the termination process and handle any necessary paperwork.
By using an EOR in Lithuania, companies can hire and manage employees without the added burden of establishing a legal entity or branch office.
This is how to go beyond job boards: a guide to proactive outreach.
Discover top Applicant Tracking Systems in the U.S.: Key features, pricing, and ideal business sizes for modern recruitment efficiency.