Bangkok is the capital of Thailand and one of the most vibrant cities in Asia. It is a bustling metropolis that is home to some of the world's most iconic landmarks and attractions, including the Grand Palace, Wat Arun, and the Chao Phraya River. Bangkok is a mix of the traditional and the modern, with a thriving nightlife, diverse culture, and delicious cuisine. Whether you are looking for a cultural experience, a culinary adventure, or just a great time, Bangkok is a must-visit destination. Bangkok is also a great place to find software developers. But software engineers in Bangkok are also hard to find and hard to hire. Experienced developers get a lot of messages from recruiters, in some cases five or ten messages per day. To find engineers in Bangkok you have to search for engineers in different sources, reach out based on their preferred contact details, personalize your outreach and make an attractive offer. In this guide you'll learn more about the tech ecosystem in Bangkok, which methods to use to find developers and how to hire them.
According to DataUSA, there were 84,824 tech professionals employed in Bangkok in 2018. This is up from 72,642 in 2017, representing a 16.7% growth in tech talent in the city over the past year. The majority of tech professionals are employed in the software publishing industry (38.3%), followed by the telecommunications industry (17.3%) and the computer systems design industry (15.3%). The average salary for tech professionals in Bangkok was $27,965 in 2018.
The tech ecosystem in Bangkok is rapidly growing and evolving. The city is home to a thriving startup scene, and the government has taken steps to cultivate the tech sector with initiatives such as the National Innovation Agency, the Digital Economy Promotion Agency, and the Thailand Digital Park. Major tech companies such as Google, Microsoft, Oracle, and Apple have a presence here as well. Additionally, there is an active venture capital community, and a wide range of accelerator and incubator programs. The city also boasts a vibrant tech scene with many meetups, conferences, hackathons, and other events.
1. Bangkok React Meetup
3. Bangkok Women in Tech Meetup
4. Bangkok iOS Dev Meetup
5. Bangkok DevOps Meetup
6. Bangkok Data Science Meetup
7. Bangkok Mobile Developers Meetup
8. Bangkok Machine Learning Meetup
9. Bangkok UX/UI Design Meetup
10. Bangkok Cloud Computing Meetup
1. Use a specialized recruitment agency: Working with a recruitment agency that specializes in software development can be a great way to quickly source qualified talent in Bangkok. They will have an established network of qualified professionals and be able to quickly identify the best candidates for your needs.
2. Use job boards: There are several popular job boards and online platforms in Bangkok that can be used to source software development talent. Companies such as JobStreet, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn are all popular options.
3. Attend industry events: Attending industry events such as hackathons and software development conferences can be a great way to source talent. You can meet with potential candidates in person and get a better feel for their skills and interests.
4. Network with local developers: Networking with local developers in Bangkok can be a great way to source talent. Many developers have an online presence, so it can be useful to connect with them on social media or through industry forums.
5. Post on freelancing sites: Freelancing sites such as Upwork and Freelancer can be a great way to source software development talent. There are many qualified developers on these sites that may be willing to work on a project basis.
The best way to find developer talent in Bangkok is to find them in the places where they have an online profile and are active. Examples of those platforms are GitHub and Stack Overflow. LinkedIn can also be a valuable source.
Talent search engines can help you find developers online through a variety of sources. Most talent search engines also provide verified contact details so you can reach out to the talent you have found. In some cases these engines even automate a big part of the outreach process so you can reach hundreds of candidates per day.
An example of a talent search and engagement engine is HeroHunt.ai which can find 1 billion candidates worldwide and lets you reach out automatically with personalized messages.
An alternative way to attract development talent is to post a job on a (local) job board.
7. Bangkok Post
If you are sourcing for remote talent then you can utilize remote specific job boards where you can post your remote job.
When you’re hiring software developers you need to be aware of the local average salaries in order to provide a competitive job offer. Below are the average salaries for software developers per experience level.
The average salary for a junior developer in Bangkok is approximately 40,000 to 50,000 THB per month (approximately $1,250 to $1,560 USD). This would usually include basic salary and additional benefits such as housing allowance, travel allowance, etc. A junior developer typically has 1-3 years of experience in software development. They are typically responsible for developing and maintaining software applications, creating and testing code, and troubleshooting software issues.
The average salary for a Senior Developer in Bangkok is approximately $2,500- $3,500 USD per month. This amount is dependant on experience level and the type of company. For example, at a large corporation, the salary could be higher than at a small startup. Typical benefits include paid vacation, health insurance, and other allowances.
Maybe your company doesn't have an office (yet) in Bangkok. But that doesn't mean you can't hire employees in Bangkok. There are several options like EORs which can help employ developers legally according to the regulations in Bangkok.
An Employer of Record (EOR) is a service provider that helps companies hire and manage staff in Bangkok, Thailand. The EOR will act as the employer of record, handling all of the administrative tasks associated with hiring, such as payroll, taxes, benefits, and compliance.
Here’s how to use an EOR in Bangkok:
1. Identify Your Needs: Before you hire an EOR, you need to determine why you need their services and what you expect from them. Consider your company’s size, scope of operations, and budget.
2. Research EOR Providers: Once you know your needs, you can start researching potential EOR providers. Look for companies that have experience with the Thai labor market and that offer the services you need.
3. Interview EOR Providers: Once you’ve narrowed down your search, you should contact the EOR providers and arrange to interview them. Ask questions about their experience, services offered, and fees.
4. Negotiate a Contract: Once you’ve chosen the right EOR provider, you should negotiate a contract that outlines the services they will provide and the terms of their services.
5. Monitor the Relationship: Once you’ve established the relationship with your EOR provider, you should monitor the relationship to ensure that they are providing the services you need in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Using an EOR in Bangkok can help you quickly and easily hire and manage staff in Thailand, allowing you to focus on growing your business.
With these platforms you can make the entire world your potential talent pool.
The best platforms outside LinkedIn for finding exceptional tech talent.